Saturday, February 25, 2012

Toberlone Mousse


Toberlone Mousse is a simple recipe with only 4 ingredients. 
When making this recipe, she used to: 
  • hide the Toberlone from us until she was ready to make it 
  • brought the cream as fresh as possible.
  • doubled or tripled this recipe so that there is enough for us all,
  • made the second and third batches seperately.
  • always cleaned her bowls before commencing the next batch ensuring that bowls and beaters were completely dry.
  • allowed me to test the mixture and lick the bowl after the egg yolks had been beaten to create the smooth chocolate mixture.
Toblerone Mousse is a rich dessert which can be prepared the day before serving with or without decorations. In mum's kitchen, it was considered a special dessert for a birthday, special guests whom mum knew had a 'sweet tooth'  St Patrick's Day (17 March), St Joseph's Feast Day (19th March) or in Eastertide (50 days after Easter) once we had  recovered from eating Easter Sunday's easter eggs and her other Easter delights.  When we were having visitors, mum used to put this dessert in her crystal dessert dishes- 'the round ones darling without the stem'' she used to say to me as I opened the buffet to get them out.


Now that I make it myself to serve 4, it never seems to look enough or be quite as smooth and fluffy as yours used to be. I feel anxious as I seperate the eggs, smile to myself as I  lick the bowl to test the chocolate mixture  and when I eat the final product, I wish I had doubled the recipe. It is still yummy.

TOBLERONE MOUSSE. (Serves 4)
Ingredients
  1. 100g block Toblerone Swiss Dark Chocolate roughly chopped.
  2. 3 eggs, separated, egg whites whipped stiffly.
  3. ½ cup cream, whipped.
  4. Garnish with Strawberries for decoration.(or your choice of fruit or decoration)
Method:

  1. Melt chocolate in a bowl over hot water. (see tip below)
  2. Add egg yolks to chocolate and beat until smooth.
  3. Beat egg whites until stiff- (Mum's tip: turn bowl upside down and mixture should not move)
  4. In a seperate bowl, whip cream.
  5. Fold egg whites and cream into chocolate mixture.
  6. Pour into serving dishes. Refrigerate until set.
  7. Decorate with extra whipped cream and strawberries.
 Tip: Mum used to melt the chocolate using a dish sitting on a pot of hot water.  This is the method I still prefer. However, an alternative method is to place chocolate in a flat dish in a single layer and microwave on Medium-Low for 4 minutes. Stir with fork after heating.




No comments:

Post a Comment