Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Sultana Cake

This was taken from Mum's huge collection of recipes that she used to get from all sort of sources- this one from "The Herald Sun-Wednesday April 3 1991"'
Sometimes Mum would make it exactly as specified since I came from a large family so a large cake was always welcome. 
Sometimes Mum would make the same recipe but make 2 cakes using loaf tins instead.  Other times, she would use the same recipe and adjust the timing to make sultana cupcakes.


 Ingredients
250g Butter
1 cup castor sugar
5 eggs
2 and 1/2 cups of plain flour
1/4 cup of self raising flour
500g sultanas
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tablespoons of milk.

METHOD
1. Grease a 23cm cake and line.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. 
(Make sure butter is at room temperature before you begin).
3.Add room temperature eggs one at a time, beating well.
4. Sift flour.
5. fold in flour with sultanas and essence.
6. Stir in milk.
7. Place mixture into your greased/lined cake tin.
8. Cook in a moderately slow oven for 1 hr 45 min to 2 hrs or until cooked when tested.

Sometimes Mum used to leave out the milk and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of brandy over sultanas. She would leave them overnight before using in the recipe. She said she did this to keep cake moist and it would give it extra taste.

I half the recipe for my needs and make it in one loaf tin or else I use patty pans. When I half the recipe, I usually use 3 smaller eggs or 2 larger ones. You don't want the recipe to be too wet but not too dry either.
When I make them as patty pan cakes I use a 160 degree fan forced (180 degrees conventional) and bake for about 15 minutes. I start and have a look about 12 minutes and keep an eye on them but sometimes it takes up to about 18 minutes.  It is hard to give an accurate timing so these are relevant for my oven.
I am yet to try it with a conical loaf tin but I am sure it would work well there too adjusting the timing.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment